LPM strives for a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion intended to embody and reflect our community, making our work richer and more resonant. We seek out and embrace people of all races, ethnicities and origins, heritages, characteristics and circumstances with intention in our work. Therefore, our staff, board of directors and community advisory board must fully reflect the community we serve.
For LPM to grow, we must embrace more of our community, more intentionally, where they are. For many years, mainstream media has promoted racist narratives and under-represented Black people and people of color in our coverage and on our staffs. LPM has long been committed to the core values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and we must work to live and promote those values every day. LPM will be part of the solution — at our organization and across our community.
We commit to being an organization where similarities and difference are respected and celebrated, multiple perspectives and diversity of thought are embraced, and people are engaged in intercultural experiences. We acknowledge the challenges faced by people from historically marginalized groups and in our work, we seek to challenge systems of oppression.
LPM has invested in a three-year Diversity, Equity and Inclusion plan. The comprehensive plan, which began in 2019, includes training for the LPM leadership team, staff and board members; deliberate community engagement; and oversight and review.
We commit to:
- Amplifying the voices of our community in our work, especially those that have been underrepresented in media and civic dialogue; seeking diverse voices and perspectives from experts and other sources;
- Ensuring our music stations are representative and inclusive of our entire community, and that we play a diverse mix of artists and styles;
- Developing new partnerships with underserved communities and inviting feedback regarding their needs;
- Continually evaluating our recruitment and hiring practices to maximize the size and diversity of candidate pools for staff and senior leadership, board of directors and community advisory board positions, so that those positions fully represent the community we serve;
- Providing resources for employees to take advantage of training opportunities that meet organizational needs and individuals’ career development goals;
- Diversifying our marketing, advertising and public relations strategies so that our organization is meeting members of our community where they are;
- Examining the diversity of our revenue sources and working to make it more reflective of our community;
- Retaining a DE&I professional to provide general education and training to staff and board, and making resources and educational opportunities available to staff and board members on diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Providing an annual Community Report on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at LPM to the public.
Through this work and in accordance with our strategic plan, we intend to build a culture of sustained Diversity, Equity and Inclusion throughout the organization.
Updated: Dec. 21, 2021